How to keep your unit in top condition
- A sink garbage disposal is a great help in the kitchen, making it fast and easy to clean up your food waste. But you have to treat it with respect if you want it to last.
- When you grind food use cold water (hot water can melt fats and clog the mechanism and pipes)
- Don’t overfill the garbage disposer
- Always run water before and after you use the garbage disposal
- Don’t put bleach, drain cleaners, or other chemicals down the unit
- Don’t try to grind bones, coffee grounds, overly fibrous materials (like artichokes or corn husks), or things like glass, metal, or rubber
- If something has been put in the disposal that should not have been, use tongs or pliers to pull the material out. Never use your hand.
- To clean a garbage disposal: Get rid of built-up sludge and debris by filling it with ice cubes and a cup of rock salt, then run it for about five seconds. If your garbage disposal smells bad, deodorize it by running warm water down it while you grind a lemon.
Contact your Schoonover plumbing professional today if you need garbage disposal repair or a new installation.